What is so wrong with Synthetic Fragrances?
Synthetic fragrances are commonly used in candles, perfumes, body sprays, cleaning products, cosmetics and skincare. Possible side effects from synthetic fragrance exposure are:
- Chest tightness and wheezing
- Skin irritation
- Infant diarrhea and vomiting
- Reduced pulmonary function
- Asthma and asthmatic exacerbation
- Rhinitis and airway irritation
- Contact dermatitis
The long-term effects of synthetic fragrance are unquantifiable. What we do know is that more people are experiencing allergies and sensitivities than ever before.
The more we can minimise our exposure to potentially dangerous chemicals and toxins, the better.
In Australia, if fragrance is one of the ingredients in a product it must be declared on the label, but only as “fragrance” or “parfum”containing any number of chemicals from a pool of more than 5000 used by the beauty industry, most of which have never been tested for safety.
The Natural Alternative
An ideal alternative to scenting with synthetic fragrances, is to use Essential Oils. Essential oils are derived from flowers, fruit, grasses, seeds, bark, wood, roots, leaves, balsam and resin. They’ve been used for thousands of years and have stood the test of time.
These oils work both medicinally and therapeutically and are readily absorbed via the skin into the bloodstream, while having a balancing and regulating effect on our mood.
The essential oils we use in our formulations not only smell great but have beneficial qualities to the body such as antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging and wound healing, and improve circulation.
There’s nothing better than smelling great and knowing you’re using natural, non-toxic ingredients on your skin.
None of the products at Saltwater Naturals contain any synthetic fragrances or preservatives, even “safe” ones.
If you see Fragrance/Natural Fragrance listed on our products, it may mean :
- Natural Fragrance. This is a blend of plant-based oils produced using only pure essential oils and aromatic isolates derived solely from natural, raw botanical sources.
- Required by law if using an ingredient called Naticide, a natural preservative. Naticide®, a vegetable-based ingredient which acts as a broad-spectrum antimicrobial preservative. It has a scent of vanilla and almond and can inhibit growth of bacteria, mould and yeasts. It is approved for use in organic skin care in Australia. Naticide® is the trade name owned by its manufacturer.